I am not a fan of day-to-day cooking. Cleaning vegetables? Ugh. Boiling potatoes? Boring! Instead, I enjoy spending hours or even days preparing stews, banana bread, cookies, and merengues in all colours of the rainbow. I am also the queen of scraps and love to put together tasty treats or dishes using only ingredients we have at hand. Being inventive and making up recipes in my head and then tasting the result is such a fun, rewarding experience.
You can stock your pantry with the ingredients for this recipe so that you can always have a quick treat for unexpected guests or just yourself. I used condensed coconut milk for a vegan/lactose-free alternative.
Coconut macaroon Easter nests
One part shredded coconut
One part condensed (coconut) milk
Chocolate Easter eggs
I promise you do not need egg whites or sugar!
300 grams of both ingredients made 15 of the pictured macaroons.
How to make it:
1. Mix the condensed milk and shredded coconut. This will turn into a sticky mess. My favourite kind of cooking/baking!
3. Form compact coconut/milk balls using two spoons. I prefer use my hands and run them under the tap to avoid the stickiness. Place on baking sheet and flatten slightly.
4. For this specific recipe, press your thumb in the middle of the macaroons to create an indentation.
5. Bake the macaroons in the oven for 10 minutes. Ideally, they should be crunchy on the outside and sticky on the inside.
6. Place a little Easter Egg in each indentation.
7. Leave to cool. The chocolate will melt slightly from the heat of the macaroon, making sure the egg does not roll off.
And that’s all there is to it! But don’t let me cramp your style. Be creative, Why not add chocolate sprinkles? Disco dip? Have fun and enjoy!